Monday, February 13, 2006

Chonicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Director: Andrew Adamson
Main Cast: Gerogie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell, Tilda Swinton
Writer(s): CS Lewis, Ann Peackock, Andrew Adamson, Christoper Markus, Stephen McFeely
Director of Photography: Donald McAlpine
Producer(s): Mark Johnson, Philip Steuer
Editor(s): Sim Evan-Jones, Jim May
Original Score By: Stephen Barton, Various
Release Date: 2005 December 9

Narnia. The very word conjures up images of childhood fantasy. It recalls lazy summer afternoons spent curled up on the couch with my nose pushed deep into the magical words of a world so fantastically different from our own. Those days, filled with excitement and anticipation, were briefly revisited when I sat down in the crowded theater. I will admit that I was apprehensive but found that, with the final closing of the wardrobe door, I had not been disappointed, but rather delightfully transported back to the days of my youth through one of my favorite timeless tales.

The biggest praise I have for the film is its reasonably strict adherence to the original text. There were a few minor adjustments to some details, but their presence did not undermine the power of the principal narrative. Perhaps the most notable difference was the opening sequences depicting the Pevensie siblings at home with their mother during the war. Amidst the pervasive air raid sirens glimpses of the children’s characters were revealed and the audience became acquainted with the emotional premise of their withdrawal to the country. What Lewis executed in one or two sentences Adamson unwrapped in a five-minute sequence that was poignant and succinct enough not to detract from the overall story. The other deviations from Lewis’ tale are so minor as to not require specific mention or analysis.


It recalls lazy summer afternoons spent curled up on the couch with my nose pushed deep into the magical words of a world so fantastically different from our own.



Casting for the film was nearly flawless. From the children to the White Witch to Aslan, all the lead players seemed to slip into their roles and move forward effortlessly. There were a couple of instances where I may have chosen a different take as the dialogue delivery and staging were awkward or appeared somewhat miscued. These primarily occurred with Edmond in the beginning scenes at the Professor’s house and with the voice-acting of Fenris Ulf, the well-animated wolf in charge of the witch’s security force. I also felt the Professor was a tad too “mad scientist” and not enough “mid-century sophistication”. This, however, may be merely my interpretation of the literary character versus the director’s reading of the part.

The actor who stole the show was Lucy (Gerogie Henley). Her innocence and caring heart were portrayed so skillfully that I doubt any other acting veteran could have performed more eloquently and hit the mark so precisely. Her insistence on the reality of Narnia was filled with passion. Her relationship and forgiveness for Mr. Tumnus was thoughtful, self-sacrificing, and stirring. Her dedication to her temporarily estranged brother was unwavering. Overall, the portrayal of the character was so natural that you almost believed this is how Miss Henley truly behaves off the set.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how some of the more dramatically treacherous scenes were expertly conducted. In particular, I had deep-seated fears that the portion of the film where the Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve meet with Santa Claus would extract laughter from those unfamiliar with Lewis’ handling of said sequence. Surprisingly, however, the outcome of this encounter was a touching moment of adulthood realities clashing with childhood whimsy resulting in a demonstrative shift in the film’s tone.

Visually the film delivered with grandiose success. From the battle sequences, whose danger was clear, but gore was scarce, to the famous lamppost to the witch’s collection of stone statues, all appeared as if they had been extracted straight from my youthful imagination. There were occasional lapses in the visual effects quality, but they were few and far between and none so much as to pull me away from the adventurous tale.


The intent of the original words rang true and its presentation was as lucid as the sky during Narnian spring thaw.



At first I felt the movie had altered the story's nature to be too childish, lacking the harsh realities of the mature themes it portrayed. However, upon reading the book again I realized that it is presented in much the same way. Also, when re-thinking this initial reaction I recollected the handful of scenes that are powerfully moving and in some ways a bit scary such as the shaving and sacrifice of Aslan and the daring confrontation of Peter and the wolf. While I had considered this juvenile tone to be a flaw of the film I have since decided that it is not as prevalent as I thought nor does it detract from the adult subtext. In addition, it commendably stays true to the original source material.

The film resonated, as does the book, with strong thematic elements. Forgiveness, grace, sacrifice, supernatural power and authority, and faith all had a prominent role in this modern retelling. I appreciated that the message was not diluted or the Christian allegorical content overlooked. The intent of the original words rang true and its presentation was as lucid as the sky during Narnian spring thaw.

Bottome Line: All the elements for a great film were excellently assembled. This is a well-crafted tale for all ages, for all time. Its theological underpinnings give it purpose and relevancy for generation after generation. The film version does nothing to betray this lasting significance and does adequate justice to its themes. With the recent announcement of The Lion, the Witch, and Wardrobe's financial success and the soon approaching kick-off of the next portion of the Chronicles, Prince Caspian, it appears as though Disney and Walden Media have in store for us a few more years of wholesome films that all are welcome to enjoy.

A roaring, 8 out of 10

~RG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I didn't read this until now! I, like you, have fond memories of reading the book and being transported back to another magical place. And, I was fairly skeptical that I'd like the film becuase I just didn't think that it could do justice to what my mind imagined while reading the books. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the movie did a very good job presenting a visual image of what CS Lewis describes in the book.

As you wrote, I absolutely loved Lucy in the film - she was perfect for the role. I also thought that Tilda Swinton made an excellent white witch.

Now, I can't wait to see Prince Caspian :)

One other thing... I think (from what I've been able to find online) that Lucy was actually played by Georgie Henley and that Anna Popplewell was actually Susan Pevensie.

Thanks for posting your thoughts about this film!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger Regular Guy said...

Thanks for posting.

You caught my mistake with Popplewell versus Henley. You are correct in saying Lucy is actually played by Georgie Henley.

I have updated the post to reflect the correct actor.

I had another error like this in another post (History of Violence). I got through the whole article and realized I had made a huge mistake. Luckily I caught before I published.

Thanks!

~RG

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home