Thursday, May 12, 2005

Introduction-What is this all about?

I am just a Regular Guy. I am not qualified in any way to give my opinion on films. I am no expert. I have no formal training or education in the field. I cannot list my many accolades or accomplishments in cinema or in any art for that matter. What I am is a film lover.


I believe that this medium leaves so few senses unaffected that it nearly replicates, in many ways, actually experiencing what is being viewed. It has the potential to move us in a way that a sculpture or painting cannot. It is possible to walk away feeling nauseated, overjoyed, depressed, or enraged. It is from this place of response that my passion stems.


It is not the intent of this ranting to describe a film's horrific gore, the number of times the word f--- is used, or to graphically outline the breasts and buttocks that the actors expose. There are plenty of places to find this information. These things will not be mentioned insomuch as they do not gratuitously permeate the tone or overwhelm my reaction to the themes presented by the film. What I will provide is simply this: my opinion. I will give my honest view of a film. I will attempt to look at it as an piece of art, giving my views on performances on and off the camera, themes, personal reactions, and their effects. My preconceived bias will not be left at the door. I will not attempt to be objective. Personal prejudice will be explicitly uncovered at every turn. My past, my faith, my family, my education, my emotions will all be in attendance, unabashedly. This concept may not appeal to you. I accept that. That is why this is my forum and not yours. The freedom to participate, observe, or eschew lies solely in your hands.


Every piece of film is a work of art. Some art is good, some is poor. Some art is appreciated, some is overlooked. Some artists are revolutionary, some are mainstream. Some artists are punished for their visions, some are compensated. Some artists sign their name, some crouch behind a pseudonym. Let's look at the movies not as an ever more expensive form of entertainment, but as a moving piece of canvas. Let's think about what the director, the writer, the photographer, the actor is trying to communicate. Let's allow each extracted emotion to overtake us. Let's rip open the layers of the story and get to the heart of what is inside. Let's learn life lessons. Let's contemplate intellectually. Let's talk about movies. Remember though, in all these words, I'm just a Regular Guy.

~RG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home